All Member Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  ST2500 3km Overland Conveyer Maintenance Strategy and Tactics

Posted 13 days ago
    Gooday Forum

I would like to tap into the knowledge base of this forum for recommendations wrt conveyor maintenance. We recently experienced a +200m tear on our overland conveyor. I have been tasked to review our operation and maintenance strategies and tactics wrt this important asset.

How does one go about inspecting belts with numerous inserts? Do you only look at top and bottom cover thickness as main criteria? 

How can one reliably inspect the belt cords online? Preferably with a system that's an outright purchase and not licensed with regular fees.

When purchasing belts how important is rubber compound selection if at all? My experience with OTR tyres would suggest it as very important, but I don't sense that from on-site contractor managing.

How should cleaning regimes be enforced? With work orders or photo reports etc? 

How can one track rollers and idlers etc? 

Any good conveyor maintenance manual recommendations would be appreciated.

Kind regards 

Charles 

• 2.  RE: ST2500 3km Overland Conveyer Maintenance Strategy and Tactics

Posted 12 days ago

Hi Charles

I hope to be able to provide some guidance. Your problem is not unique, and there are many overland conveyors suffering from this disease. Of course, it is imperative that all the inserts be accurately identified, using the belt indent numbers. This will indicate how long they have been in operation for and will assist with planning the purchase of replacement belting. The typical steel cord reinforced belt, will now take 8 weeks to delivery, provided the cord diameter is available, otherwise it could go out to 22 weeks. Thus, to keep tabs on the belt thickness is essential as it is the primary wear indicator and will warn you when to place the order.

You mention numerous inserts. When inspecting the belt, it is important to consider the numerous splices, as this is where the risk lies. Any sign of delamination, or cords coming up out of the rubber, should get immediate attention.

REMA TIP TOP offers a service that measures belt thickness and also do an electromagnetic scan of the belt, reporting on the condition of the steel cords in the belt. Unfortunately, the equipment is not for sale, but scans can be done for customers on a once-off basis.

Cover grade selection is critical to the success of the operation. Several compound grades are available and would typically be selected based on the material handled, be it hard or soft rock, lump size, bulk density and drop height at the chute.

Cleaning regimes - Why do you have so much spillage? Should one not address the root cause? Work orders should be the way to go, as it then quantifies the money spent, and motivates management to rectify the real issue, such as the chute design, belt cleaner selection or loading area.

Belt tracking is an essay on its own. May I suggest you contact me directly at pauln@rematiptop.co.za, and we can discuss. We can also discuss general conveyor inspections and maintenance methods.

Regards

------------------------------
    Dr Paul Nel (CMRP)
    REMA TIP TOP Afrique

• 3.  RE: ST2500 3km Overland Conveyer Maintenance Strategy and Tactics

Posted 12 days ago

Hello Charles, 

Not a preventative measure but consider investing in a belt rip detection system if the rips are caused by foreign material (steel, wood, etc.). I work in mining, and this is a very common issue in our operations worldwide. We are also transitioning to HDPE rollers. We got to these solutions following recommendations of RCA as part of the Defect Elimination program. 

Regards, 

Julio Castillo
    Regional Director, Business Improvement
    Newmont LATAC
    Miami FL

• 4.  RE: ST2500 3km Overland Conveyer Maintenance Strategy and Tactics

Posted 11 days ago

Morning Charles

Following up on my response from yesterday, I realized I neglected to address the key issue of the belt rip.

There is some really clever equipment on the market currently that can protect the belt. If it is a new belt, it could be fitted with sensorloops and readers, that will detect a rip and shut the system down, limiting damage to the maximum spacing of the loops. 

However, there is some other clever equipment on the market also, that does not require any inserts in the belt. Please contact me directly and we can discuss.

Best regards

Dr Paul Nel
    REMA TIP TOP Afrique

• 5.  RE: ST2500 3km Overland Conveyer Maintenance Strategy and Tactics

Posted 11 days ago
    Thank you for your feedback Dr Nel and Julio. I'll contact you definitely for options and since you are closer relatively speaking.